tests show that you suffer from any of these abnormalities /
dysfunctions, you can view the treatment options available and
discuss them with your own
medical doctor or consultant. These
treatments can only be undertaken with the permission and
supervision of your own medical doctor
Phases or Stages of the Illness
The phase of the illness will affect biomarkers and the immune system subsets. These can change over time. Tests on 285 ME patients and 200 controls in 2013 by Hornig et al. in New York show that there are significant differences in biomarkers between patients who have the illness for 3 years or less, and those who have it for more than 3 years. This explains the slight differences between patient groups which consistently appear in scientific studies. (Preliminary findings of Hornig et al., September 2013). This ties in to the findings of Dr. Paul Cheney who has stated there are 3 phases of the illness - phase 1, 2, 3. This is important as ME progresses over time, and the patient usually develops multiple biological dysfunctions and abnormalities and can become very disabled.
Dr. Paul Cheney has successfully treated hundreds of ME patients in the USA since the early 1990's has identified 3 phases of the illness in the following lectures
Lecture by Dr. Paul Cheney who has successfully treated hundreds of ME patients in the USA
Summary of the above lecture by Dr. Paul Cheney
What phase is the patient in, how long does he/she have the illness ? is the patient in remission or having a relapse ? is the patient severely ill, moderately ill or mildly ill. These will affect immune system subsets and other biological markers.
Overview of Immune System markers and associated Genetic markers in ME / CFS
The following video of a lecture by Dr. Gordon Broderick, University of Alberta presents the immune system findings and underlying genes involved in this illness
Dynamic Modeling for ME/CFS & Gulf War Illness Interventions from ME-CFSCommunity.com on Vimeo.
- According to recent genetic research by Dr. Kerr (1) there are 7 subgroups of ME / CFS and certain drugs may be beneficial for CFS subgroups. These are listed below:
- APP gene. Drug: AAB-001. Subtypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- CXCR4 gene. Drug: JM1300. Subtypes 5 and 6
- FNTA gene. Drug: lonafarnib, tipifarnib. Subtypes 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6
- IL6ST gene. Drug: tocilizumab. Subtypes 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7
- TNF gene. Drug: golimumab, adalimumab, etanercept, certolizumab pegol, infliximab. Subtype 2
- Abnormally changed genes associated with the following biological pathways and proteins after exercise have been linked to CFS according to studies conducted by Dr. Light in the University of Utah, USA:
1. sensory receptors (ASICS, 2PX4, 2PX5, TPRIV1)
2. adrenergic receptors (sympathetic nervous system) (Alpha 2a, Beta-1, Beta-2, COMT)
3. cytokine receptors (IL-6, IL-10, TNF-a, CD14, TLRFA)
There is significant and continuing abnormalities in these genes and receptors after exercise.according to studies conducted by Dr. Light in Utah. See Scientific Evidence Section - Genetic Markers
New Drugs could be developed to target these genes or the biological pathways involved to normalise the genes and related biological entities and pathways. For example, rectifying the alpha 2A receptor could be beneficial to those patients with POTS
and Orthostatic Intolerance
- Reduce Oxidative Stress
Many studies show that oxidative stress damages the genes.
- Treatments for Oxidative Stress
- Treatments for toxic damage to the Immune system, Mitochondria, Glands, and Nervous system
(a) heavy metals in the body
(b) organophosphates, chemicals, toxins, radioactive particles, and carbon monoxide levels in the body
(c) Liver Detoxification Treatment
(d) Ciguatera poisoning treatment
- Treatments for Sleeping abnormalities. Single most important aspect of ME (Found in over 90% of ME patients)
- Treatments for Pathogen Infections
Viruses & Mycoplasmas
Chronic Lyme Disease
Chlamydia, Babesia, Ehrlichia, Bartonella, Brucella, Aspergillus, Giardia lamblia
Harmful Bacteria overgrowth in intestines. Dr. Kenny De Meirleir
- Do you eat foods containing high levels of toxins and inflammation agents ?
- hot dogs, sausages and cured meats which contain nitrosamines
- sodas and fizzy drinks and diet drinks containing aspartame
- foods containing MSG
- foods containing GMO's
- foods containing hydrogenated fats, trans fatty acids, and saturated fats. Margarine, canola oil, corn oil, peanut oil, soya oil, safflower oil
- mucous forming foods such excessive potatoes, french fries (chips), cookies and sweets
- refined sugars and foods containing refined sugars which can cause immune dysfunctions and inflammation. Stevia is healthier and safer.
- processed and packaged foods containing additives and flavourings with E numbers
- foods containing mercury – tuna, swordfish, shark
- foods containing toxin residues from the land (arsenic in some rice)
- table salt. Sea salt is healthier and safer.
- chlorine in bathing / swimming water
- flouride in drinking water
- unfiltered drinking water
all of these increase toxin load on the body, and inflammation, with adverse effects on the body, in particular the immune system, the DNA, the mitochondria, the endocrine system and the brain and nervous system. Eliminate these foods and drinks from the diet.
- Chlorella is being studied by scientists for gene repair properties. It Contains Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF), RNA and DNA all of which can be used by the body for human DNA repair and tissue regeneration.
- Green barley grass and Wheatgrass are being studied by scientists for DNA and ene repair properties.
- Turmeric is being studied by scientists for gene repair properties
- Stem cell therapy is being studied for gene repair properties
- Re-designating old medical drugs for CFS Treatment
CFIDS Association of America has got Biovista ( http://biovista.com ) in the USA to engage in research and data mining of thousands of medical drugs (including some which are currently out of use) and find matches between them and the symptoms, abnormalities and dysfunctions found in ME / CFS. They are compiling a list of these medical drugs. Safety guidelines, side effects, clinical reports and general efficacy and other factors will also be taken into account for each medical drug
- Stress Reduction
In addition to getting medical treatment for immune system, krebs cycle and methylation cycle dysfunctions, infections and other biological abnormalities and dysfunctions one should also get Stress Reduction treatment as all physical illnesses including Cancer, AIDS, ME, Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia, autoimmune illness, Cardiac related illnesses, advanced Diabetes, etc. causes great stress for patients. Click here for Stress Reduction treatment
Research articles & Clinical Findings
1. Seven genomic subtypes of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: a detailed analysis of gene networks and clinical phenotypes
J R Kerr, B Burke, R Petty, J Gough, D Fear, D L Mattey, J S Axford, A G Dalgleish, D J Nutt. J. Clin. Pathol. 2008;61;730-739; originally published online 5 Dec 2007